FSDA Underwater Photographer and Videographer of the Year
In order to give the FDSA dive club members which are underwater photographers and videographers a chance to compete and share their underwater photography and video skills, the FSDA is hosting our 3rd annual “FSDA Underwater Photographer and Videographer of the Year Competition”. For 2016, the contest submissions will be due at the end of the year and the winners will be announced at the FSDA banquet in March/April 2017. This year we are excited to announce a new video category: Spearfishing Video. Photo and Video entries for this year's 2016 FSDA competition has been extended and are now due January 22nd, 2017.
Competition rules are:
1) Contestants must have paid FSDA membership dues for the current year.
2) Photos and videos must be taken underwater and be of original/natural subject matter (no props) in a natural underwater environment. For the “Open” categories, the Photos & Videos can be taken in any waters including International and US. For the “Florida” categories, the Photos & videos must be taken in Florida coastal waters or Florida lakes, springs and streams. No photos/videos will be accepted if taken in artificial environments such as aquariums, tanks, or man made ponds.
3) Photo images and video showing any disrespect for the environment or marine animals, or showing animals viewed in an un-natural environment, location or grouping will not be considered for judging. Spearfishing videos should be entered in the Spearfishing Video category.
4) Photos and Videos must be shot during 2016 year. Please do not submit photos or videos not taken in 2016. We want to see your newest work.
5) The winners will be announced at the annual FSDA banquet in January 2017 and also posted online to FSDA website and FSDA Facebook page. Winning images and videos will also be posted and shared via FSDA website and FSDA Facebook page.
6) Contestants with winning images and videos agree to allow FSDA to publish their images and videos on FSDA website, FSDA Facebook page, FSDA calendar and in a digital presentation at the FSDA banquet. Credit will be given to the photographer/videographer. Any images displayed online will be watermarked.
7) The 6 categories for competition in the 2016 contest are: 1) Photo SLR – Florida Waters, 2) Photo Compact – Florida Waters, 3) Open Photo – Any Waters and Any Camera, 4) Florida Video - Florida Waters, 5) Open Video – Any Waters, and 6) Spearfishing Video - Any Waters. Photo SLR includes SLR, Micro-four thirds & mirrorless cameras. Photo Compact includes Point & Shoot cameras, GoPros and any camera with a fixed lens.
9) Contest submissions must be submitted by midnight on January 22, 2017.
The following rules are specific to the Photo Categories of the competition
Each contestant will be allowed two(2) photo submissions per each contest category. Please indicate which category the photos are being submitted under.
The name of your image file should include your name, category (Compact, SLR, Open), dive club initials, year and number. For example: images by Suzy Diver belonging to the Sea Bunnies submitting in both Compact and Open categories would be named: SDiver-Compact-SB-2016-1.jpg, SDiver-Compact-SB-2016-2.jpg, SDiver-Open-SB-2016-1.jpg, SDiver-Open-SB-2016-2.jpg, etc. Please indicate in your email which category the photos are being submitted under. You will be sent an email confirmation that your photos were received. If you have any questions regarding your photo submission, please contact Heidi Thoricht via email at Heidi@bluewtrlife.com or via phone at 727-698-1888.
The following rules are specific to the Video Categories of the competition
Underwater videos should be at least one minute in length and not greater than four minutes in length.
Videos may contain the videographer’s own still images but video may not be comprised more than 1/4 length of still images. 3/4 of the video must consist of an underwater environment. Video may contain topside images and video relating to the story of the video.
Each contestant will be allowed one(1) video submission per each contest category. Please indicate which category the which the video is being submitted under.
Videos will be judged by impartial judges based on the following:
a) Technical merit – focus, stability
b) Composition - subject, creativity and overall arrangement
c) Editing – flow of story, transitions, title creations
d) Viewer impact - overall emotional appeal
Points 1 – 10 will be assessed in each of those 4 areas. In the case of a tie, judges will rely upon the video displaying the greater degree of difficulty and composition to break the tie by adding an additional ½ point.
Each contestant will only be allowed one (1) video placement in each video contest category.
Video Upload Instructions
- Videos can either be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo. If you do not an account on one of these video sharing sites, you will need to create yourself an account at either www.youtube.com or www.vimeo.com.
- Log onto either you YouRube on Vimeo account. Click option to upload your video. Select video file from your computer. Title your video and in video description add the words “FSDA Video 2016 Competition - Category XXX”. For example: a video submitted under the category Florida Waters should contain "FSDA Video 2016 Competition - Florida Waters" in the description.
- Once your video has uploaded, copy the link and email it to email@example.com. Include your name, dive club and video category in the email.
- You will be sent an email confirmation that your video has been received.
- Please do not use any copyrighted music that YouTube or Vimeo will not allow to be shared. Usually this means the music needs to be royalty free. When uploading your video, make sure it is set for public viewing and allow embedding.
- If you have any questions on uploading the video, please contact please contact Heidi Thoricht via email at Heidi@bluewtrlife.com or via phone at 727-698-1888.